Blogger Widgets Blogger Widgets

Friday, June 17, 2016

Lesson-4- Character and Behavior


Lesson 4- Character and Behavior

painfully shy
had a vivid imagination

When I was a teenager, I was painfully shy (extremely shy). I loved reading books, and I had a vivid imagination (had a creative and colorful imagination).

ကြ်န္ေတာ္ ဆယ္ေက်ာ္သက္တုန္းကဆို အရမ္းရွက္တတ္ခဲ့တာ။ စာအုပ္ေတြဖတ္ရတာကို ႏွစ္သက္ခဲ့တာေၾကာင့္ ကြ်န္ေတာ့္မွာ ေတာက္ပရႊန္းလဲ့တဲ့စိတ္ကူးစိတ္သန္းေတြရိွခဲ့တယ္။

outgoing personality
sense of humor

My best friend had a more outgoing personality (she liked to be friendly and sociable) and a good sense of humor (ability to make other people laugh).

ကြ်န္ေတာ့္အခ်စ္ဆံုးသူငယ္ခ်င္းက အရမ္းေဖာ္ေရြပ်ဴငွာတဲ့ ပင္ကိုယ္ဗီဇရိွတယ္။ ၿပီးေတာ့ ဟာသဥာဏ္လည္း ရႊင္တယ္။


brutally honest
hurt my feelings

Unfortunately she was also brutally honest, and sometimes her comments hurt my feelings (made me sad, upset, or angry).

စိတ္မေကာင္းျဖစ္ရတာကေတာ့ သူမက ဘြင္းဘြင္းႀကီး ရိုးသားေနေတာ့ တစ္ခါတရံသူမရဲ႕ေျပာဆိုမႈ ေတြက ကြ်န္ေတာ့္ခံစားခ်က္ေတြကို အထိနာေစတယ္။

fiercely loyal
showed her true colors
played a prank

Although I was fiercely loyal to her, she showed her true colors (revealed her true personality) when she played a prank (did a trick) that humiliated me in front of the class.

ကြ်န္ေတာ္က သူမအေပၚ သစၥာခိုင္ၿမဲေသာ္လည္း သူမရဲ႕ပင္ကုိယ္ဇေပၚလာခဲ့တယ္။ အတန္းေရွ႕မွာ ကြ်န္ေတာ့္ကို အရွက္ရေစတဲ့ က်ီစယ္မႈတစ္ခု သူမ လုပ္ခဲ့တုန္းကေပါ့။

I bore a grudge (continued feeling angry) against her for years afterwards.

အဲဒီေနာက္ ႏွစ္အေတာ္ၾကာၾကာ ကြ်န္ေတာ္ သူမအေပၚ မလိုမုန္းတီးမႈေဒါသအာဃာတေတြ ထားခဲ့တယ္။

low self-esteem
a mean streak

Now that I look back on it, I can see that she had low self-esteem (she considered herself inferior) and a bit of a mean streak (a “streak” is a tiny bit of someone’s personality).

အခု ေနာက္ေၾကာင္းေတြျပန္ေတြးမိေတာ့ သူမမွာ သိမ္ငယ္တတ္တဲ့စိတ္ရိွၿပီး အနည္းငယ္ေဒါသျဖစ္တဲ့ ဥာဥ္ေလးေတာ့ ရိွတယ္ဆိုတာ ကြ်န္ေတာ္ သိလာပါၿပီ။

come out of my shell
have a thicker skin     
speak their minds

I've come out of my shell (become less shy) since those days; I have a thicker skin (I’m less sensitive to criticism) and it doesn't bother me when people speak their minds (say exactly what they think, without considering the effects of the words on others).

အဲဒီေန႕ေတြကတည္းက ကြ်န္ေတာ္ သိပ္မရွက္ေတာ့ဘူးေလ။ ေ၀ဖန္ေရးေတြကိုလည္း သိပ္အာရုံမထားေတာ့ဘူး။ ဒီလိုဆိုေတာ့ လူေတြ သူတို႕စိတ္ထဲရိွတဲ့အတိုင္းေျပာဆိုဆက္ဆံလာတဲ့အခါ ကြ်န္ေတာ့္ကို စိတ္အေႏွာက္မျဖစ္ေတာ့ဘူးေပါ့။

have a tendency
have a superiority complex

My biggest flaw is that I have a tendency to be arrogant – some say I have a superiority complex (consider myself superior to others).

ကြ်န္ေတာ္ရဲ႕ အႀကီးမားဆံုး ခ်ိဳ႕ယြင္းခ်က္ကေတာ့ မာနႀကီးတတ္တာပါပဲ။ တခ်ိဳ႕ကေျပာၾကတယ္ ကြ်န္ေတာ္မွာ ဘ၀င္ျမင့္စိတ္အစဲြရိွတယ္တဲ့။

swallow my pride
put others first

I’ll admit that it is hard for me to swallow my pride (stop being arrogant) and recognize when I've been mistaken about something.

ကြ်န္ေတာ့္အတြက္ေတာ့ မာနကိုခ၀ါခ်ဖို႕ဆိုတာ ခက္ခဲေနေသးတယ္ဆိုတာနဲ႕ တစ္ခုခုနဲ႕ပက္သက္တဲ့ အမွားေတြလည္း ဘယ္ခ်ိန္လုပ္လိုက္မိတယ္ဆိုတာ မွတ္မိဖို႕လည္းခက္တယ္ဆိုတာ ကြ်န္ေတာ္ ၀န္ခံပါ့ မယ္။

My resolution for the New Year is to make a more concerted effort to put others first (consider the needs of other people more important than my own).

ႏွစ္သစ္မွာ ကြ်န္ေတာ္ သႏၷိဌာန္ခ်ဖို႕ကေတာ့ အျခားသူေတြကိုဦးစားေပးဖို႕ ပိုၿပီးလံု႕လထား ႀကိဳစား သြားဖို႕ပါပဲ။

Lesson 4 – Quiz
1. A lot of successful entrepreneurs have not only a bright / lucid / vivid imagination, but also the willingness to work hard.
2. He really hurt my emotions / feelings / senses when he called me an idiot.
3. His superiority belief / complex / tendency makes him impossible to work with because he won't listen to suggestions.
4. I had to chew / eat / swallow my pride and apologize to Janet for overreacting to her criticism.
5. I like to date men with a great feel / sense / touch of humor.
6. In some cultures, it's considered very rude to say / speak / talk your mind.
7. It's good to get / put / set others first, but not at the expense of your own well-being.
8. Most people who work as comedians have very outgoing / tendency / upcoming personalities.
9. My brother is brutally / carefully / painfully shy, but I'm trying to encourage him to come out of his case / shell / skin.
10. My daughter gets along with her classmates, but she has a competitive spot / streak / strip when it comes to academics.
11. My husband forgives other people very easily; he's not one to bear / hurt / swallow a grudge.
12. She would never cheat on her husband; she's angrily / brutally / fiercely loyal to him.
13. The kids were suspended for playing a grudge / prank / streak on the teacher - they put a live snake inside her desk.
14. Working with a therapist has helped me overcome my problems with deep / low / small selfesteem.
15. You need to develop a fatter / harder / thicker skin; you can't let every little comment upset you.


No comments:

Post a Comment